Tuesday, March 28, 2023

World Travel: Been There, Done That

Tom Kando 


On March 26, there was an article in the Sacramento Bee about a local teacher who has been in every single country in the world. His name is Brian Asher and he teaches at Rio Americano high school, from where my children and grandchildren are all graduates. (Sadie being the last one; she will graduate this coming June). 

This piqued my interest not only because of our affiliation with this fine high school, but also because I, too, have been an avid traveler. 

There are 193 countries in the world, if you count all the members of the United Nations. If you add the two “countries” that are only “observers” but not full members (Palestine and the Vatican), you get a total 195. 

Be that as it may, Asher has been in every single country, including North Korea and Palestine. He started traveling internationally when he was twenty, and he is now thirty-seven. So that’s more than eleven countries each year.  Asher’s feat gave me the idea to catalogue my own travel record. Granted, it pales in comparison with Asher’s. But I am not competing. I just wanted to make my list and see what it looks like. I hope that you’ll agree that my list is (also) pretty impressive: 

Europe: 1. Hungary, 2. Austria, 3. Switzerland, 4. France, 5. Belgium, 6. Netherlands, 7. Germany, 8. East Germany, 9. UK, 10. Ireland, 11. Denmark,12. Sweden,13. Norway, 14. Iceland, 15. Finland, 16. Spain,17. Italy, 18. Greece, 19. Czechia, 20. Slovakia, 21. Poland, 22. Croatia, 23. Russia, 24. Belarus. 
Africa: 25. Morocco 
Oceania: 26. Australia 
Americas: 27. US, 28. Mexico, 29. Canada, 30. Jamaica 
Asia: 31.  Japan 32. South Korea 
Micro-countries: 33.Liechtenstein, 34.Luxembourg, 35. Monaco, 36. San Marino, 37. Vatican 

So I have been in thirty-seven countries of the world, on five continents. I have lived in four of these: seven years in Hungary, eight years in France, ten years in the Netherlands and the remaining fifty-six years in the US. 

My moves followed an interesting trend: We left Hungary at the end of World War Two, spending the next eight years in Paris, which some people consider to be the most beautiful city in the world. From there, we moved to Amsterdam, an exciting and charming city as well, but not quite on a par with the “Ville Lumière.” Ten years later, I moved to Minneapolis, which can be viewed as another downward step. Finally, I moved to Sacramento, which is even more provincial than Minneapolis. So you see where my lifelong course leads me to? I must end up in Lodi, which was immortalized by John Fogerty and Credence Clearwater’s song, “Oh Lord, Stuck in Lodi Again. 

Just kidding. I have been perfectly happy in Sacramento. There are probably more unhappy people in Paris than where I live. I just wanted to share with you my life’s interesting trajectory. And let me add that, now more than ever, living in California sure beats Eastern Europe, where I started out. Russia made sure of that when it occupied  and bombed the hell out of Hungary back then, and it continues to wreak havoc on that part of the world today (Ukraine).

Here are some other interesting factoids which reveal the extent of my travels over the decades: I have crossed the Atlantic ninety-seven times by air and four times by boat, for a total of one hundred and one, so far. Most of this has been family related, some of it was for conferences and other job-related reasons, and much of it was vacation travel. 
My most frequent European destinations over the years have been Paris and Rome, often in combination with visits to French and Italian provinces such as the Riviera, Normandy, the Alps, the Dordogne area, Tuscany, Venice and the Amalfi Coast. 

Domestically, I have been in every one of the fifty states, but nowhere more often than in Hawaii. 

Some people say, why go back to the same place over and over again? Do they say this also about sex, or about the divine pizza served at the Campo de Fiori, or a serving of Coq au Vin? Do you say, “I already had that last month, I don’t need it again?” 

We go back to the same destinations over and over again because we love it there. leave comment here