Thursday, October 18, 2012

Eating Crow About Lance Armstrong

By Tom Kando

It is now  inescapable that Lance Armstrong cheated MASSIVELY and consistently during much of his career.  As the Dutch newspaper NRC Handelsblad puts it, “the stench is rising...there is overwhelming proof of systematic doping by the seven-time Tour winner.” (October 10, 2012).  The number of witnesses testifying to this has risen to 26. The accusations include alleged intimidation and threats by Armstrong against his peers, huge suspicious payments to Italian Dr. Michele Ferrari,  and all sorts of  other sleaze.

I have often defended  Armstrong  - most recently in a post on September 16 of this year. Even then, I wasn’t so foolish as to claim that he didn’t cheat. I was arguing for extenuating circumstances.

But now, I am embarrassed  by some of the things I wrote and by my comments  afterward, in which I tried to justify my position to anonymous critics. I shouldn’t have tried to question the evidence. Sorry.

So I am  eating  crow.  It doesn’t even taste so bad, because I have this  nice sauce  of miscellaneous musings to go with it.

Having behaved naively, I am reminded of  the joke about the cuckold: He suspects his wife of cheating, so he   hires a private eye to tail her. After a while, the detective reports back to him: “Well, I saw your wife meet this guy in a cafe and they kissed. Then they went to a motel. I saw them undress and jump into bed.  And then they  drew  the curtain closed and turned off the light, so I don’t know what happened after that.” The husband’s reaction: “Damn! I wish I knew for sure whether or not she is cheating on me!”

Although I am betrayed, I am not angry. I hate witch hunts, crucifixions, public hangings.  I was late coming on board against Richard Nixon during Watergate, I was late joining the pack against George W. Bush. I believed Floyd Landis when he claimed to be innocent.  I am a softie.

Reactions to the Armstrong saga range from soft and forgiving  to harshly punitive. America has a lot of the latter. To them I quote Jesus: “Let he who is without Sin cast the first Stone.”

The social media show that millions of people remain as ambivalent as I. Donations to Armstrong’s  Charity Livestrong  have actually gone UP since August. Public opinion is much more divided than in cases like Marion Jones, Barry Bonds and  Pete Rose. As Eddie Pells wrote recently,  “sometimes good people do bad things.” (Sacramento Bee, October 14, 2012).

And there is no doubt that Lance Armstrong has done not just good things, but great  things.  His bicycling achievements are stupendous, with or without doping.  And most importantly, he has  raised hundreds of millions of dollars to fight cancer.

So how bad is Lance Armstrong? Has he murdered people? On the contrary, he has probably saved many lives. This matters to me. I am a cancer survivor. I have been a die-hard  Armstrong fan. I read  his books, I have posters of him on my office wall, I have contributed to his cancer foundation.

But what does my reaction matter? Think of the huge ramifications: Time Magazine and Sports Illustrated  had declared him the greatest athlete in the history of the world. Nike, Anheuser-Busch and  and  his other  multi-million dollar sponsors have already dumped him. He has stepped down as chairman of Livestrong.  Magazines, corporations, governmental agencies around the world  now have egg on their face - as I do.

The man is going to suffer plenty enough. His career, his reputation, his financial empire, his cancer foundation, his place in history are being destroyed or severely damaged.  That’s enough of a comeuppance. leave comment here