Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Obama’s Incredible Transformation

by Madeleine Kando

Last night’s second Presidential Debate was so intense and suspenseful, that it made for far better entertainment than my usual dose of ‘Wallander’ Mystery series. Who would have thought that the President of these United States would give Americans a more exciting performance than most of what you could watch on tv that night?

When the whole thing was over, I felt like I had witnessed a prize-fighter contest without the bruises and bloody faces. I knew Obama wasn’t going to make the same mistake twice, Getting knocked out in the first round of the first Presidential debate sure taught him a lesson. But I wasn’t prepared for this kind of fighting spirit, especially from a man who is known to be ‘civil’ and ‘moderate’.

Wow. As I write this the day after, I am still trying to recover. Obama didn’t let Romney get away with his usual style of talking out of two sides of his mouth. I was embarrassed when Romney became so combative and insulting that he had to be told to ‘sit’ by the moderator, as if he was a dog. Obama, even though as aggressive as Romney, never lost his cool. He was combative but stopped himself short when things got so ugly that the two men were on the verge of exchanging physical blows.

I liked Obama’s style far more than Romney’s. He did what he should have done two weeks ago. Obama strongly reacted to Romney’s insulting insinuation about the attack on the embassy in Libya. Obama: ‘The suggestion that anybody on my team would play politics or mislead when we've lost four of our own, Governor, is offensive. That's not what we do. That's not what I do as president.’

The coup de grace came during Obama’s closing argument, when he gave Romney a fabulous knock-out punch: It was aimed at Romney’s remark about 47% percent of the country considering themselves as victims who refuse to take personal responsibility. It was there for the whole world to see, the perfect closing to a perfect performance.

Obama knew this was the fight of all fights. He gave it his all. He fought like a bulldog disguised in a sleek greyhound suit. I loved it. leave comment here